Syracuse - Utica - Central New York Wedding DJ | Corporate Event DJ | Voiceovers :: 315.542.2112
Josh and Annie tied the knot — literally — at The Red Mill Inn in Baldwinsville. Yes, literally — turns out, there’s an interesting story behind the phrase, “tie the knot.” And it has a bit of a connection to the place where Josh asked Annie for her hand in marriage.
Josh popped the question during a trip to Cape Cod. Given the area’s proximity to the ocean — and seafood — the officiant explained that the tradition of “tying the knot” goes back centuries ago. Rather than explain it in great detail myself, I found a forum post on WeddingWire that explains it pretty well. After the officiant explained how “tying the knot” relates to marriage, he had Josh and Annie literally tie a piece of rope into a fisherman’s knot.
The nautical theme of the knot-tying ceremony seemed even more appropriate as The Red Mill Inn is located on a tiny island in the Village of Baldwinsville, and through the windows behind the ceremony, the Seneca River flows over a small dam.
Here are some of the songs requested in advance by the bride and groom:
- Ceremony Processional: Badly Drawn Boy / I Love NYE
- Ceremony Bridal Entrance: Canon in D (being a classical piece, there are countless versions — the bride and groom provided the specific version they wanted to use)
- Ceremony Recessional: Mumford and Sons / I Will Wait for You
- Wedding Party Intros: Varied – the bride and groom wanted a different song for each couple in the wedding party.
- Bride and Groom Entrance: Simple Minds / Don’t You Forget About Me
- First Dance: Christina Perri / A Thousand Years
- Bride / Father Dance: Coldplay / Clocks
- Groom / Mother Dance: Lynryd Skynyrd / Simple Man
- Cake Cutting: Queen / You’re My Best Friend
- Bouquet Toss: Beyonce / Single Ladies
- Garter Toss: Troggs / Wild Thing
- Last Dance of the Night: Simple Minds / Don’t You Forget About Me
Although I only had my phone with me for this wedding, I was still able to get a few photos from the ceremony and the reception:
My thanks again to Annie and Josh for selecting me as their DJ! And small world: the following weekend, I performed at a ceremony at a different venue operated by the same people who operate The Red Mill Inn. Details and photos in my next post… keep reading!